Contest: Share Your “Core” Story, Win a Suunto Watch

Are you always on the lookout for that next great adventure? If you’re a diver, climber, hiker or all-around risk taker, you rely heavily on your gear. A favorite brand among outdoorsman and adrenaline junkies, Suunto offers a wide range of watches that include a number of essential tools.

Ever wanted to own a Suunto watch? In need of an upgrade? Here’s your chance to complete your tactical wardrobe.  Enter to win a Suunto Core ($299) by sharing your most “Core” story in 75 words or less. You know you have some hardcore stories, so come on and share ’em. Whatever your exciting tale you have, we want to hear it.

It’s easy to enter. Just post your story to the Facebook page or below in the comments section.

The Core has features like an altimeter, barometer, compass, storm alarm, sunrise/sunset times, altitude log, temperature, depth meter, semi-automatic compass calibration, button lock, quick exit button and multiple watch, date, and alarm functions. With that lineup of features, there’s no doubt Suunto prepares you for whatever comes your way.

This contest is open to U.S. residents only. The contest ends at noon on July 1 and the winner will be announced on July 6.

81 Comments on “Contest: Share Your “Core” Story, Win a Suunto Watch

  1. Sometime last year during deer gun season I was out in the woods hunting, Needless to say other hunters had wandered over onto my land and mistaken me for a deer. They never got close to me but fires several rounds that thankfully missed. But I could hear the whizzing of the bullets going past my ear. I am grateful that they were poor shots.

  2. mid 2004, I was assigned as close-in security to Dick Gordon, he was the secretary of tourism that time when we went to Basilan where the Abu Sayaf held several hostages taken from Dos Palmas, Palawan. Sec. Gordon and I together with several personnel arrived at Camp Abbubakar and we were received by some Abu Sayaf, facing together formed in two lines at port arms, as if we are officials given an ” Arrival of Honor” . at that situation I feel uncomfortable and at nervous because we are in the territory of well known terrorists groups Abu Sayaf. Sec. Gordon convinced their leader for the released of 16 hostages in exchange of 9 sacks of rice, boxes of assorted medicines, boxes of canned goods and some clothing for the remained hostages. This initiative of the secretary was never known until now, we decided to keep it discrete from media people as part of the agreement between the Abu Sayaf Group.

  3. i was driving home late from work when i was signiled down for help. i then saw a man on the floor unconscious and a the driver freaking out telling me to help him cause he ran over this man crossing the street. being a civilian who’s studying to be a sheriff medic i quickly went to the down victim and checked to see if he’s breathing. he was alive but not breathing . i gave the driver my phone to call 911 and i ran to my car drove next to the victim put my emergency lights on for oncoming traffic and to get an emergency kit. just as i got out my car paramedics arrive un aware of the situation because they wernt dispatched, they were at the right place at the right time. thank god for that . i was ready to perfume any task i had to do to help out but felt helpless as i watched medics try to attend him . i gave cops the story on what the driver told me but i wasn’t too much of help…
    hope he made it out

  4. The story i’m gonn tell you is true because i was there i experienced each and every adventure stunt which i did with my friends, i was 15 and was studying in 10th standard in 2001, one fine sunday my friends n i decided to go for a small trip on bicycles n went left our home and started our journey while riding bicycles on the roads we had competition of bicycle race between among us. it was my favorite bycycle n race was begin with bycycle riders.

    my bicycle chain was broken while riding in the middle however it was my reputation the i had to win that race bec everyone knew that my bicycle riding is much faster than others… even though my bicycle chain was broken n the middle of the race, my luck was with me bec the road was pretty down to the target i reached the target before anyone else n i still have that bicycle with me…

    my favorite bicycle which made me to be Hero n a winner.

  5. JULY 2004, RAMADI. Marine platoon called and we came. Instantly, we hit an I.E.D. We pushed on. We came under intense gun fire and R.P.G. fire. My gunner received flash burn so we kicked open the doors of the HMMWV and started firing towards the enemy. We got pinned in a fruit stand watching watermelons explode until they got the gun up again. Just another day on what we used to call “Easy Street”.

  6. I was with another officer in one of the section 8 housing areas one shift. we observed two females get into a fight, he stated “ill get the big one, you get the small one”. when I brought the non combative subject over to the apartment to the side, the “big one” started to buck on the senior officer. I then grabbed her left arm, but at the same time the senior officer had grabbed the right and in almost a Heman style, swings the female to the ground..with me on the other end, lmao. He started to laugh, and I face planted, also breaking my Nike sorts watch( 3rd watch ive been through). All in All the female was arrested and i lost a watch.

  7. I am a 37-year-old father with 4-year-old and 5-day-old daughters.

    I have no money for nice things.

    Enough said.

  8. The rounds hit moments after I eject. My armor glows white-hot as I plummet through the upper atmosphere. My drogue chute burns away. Now spinning uncontrollably, I fight unconsciousness. Another volley of anti-dropship fire crackles through the thin air. My vision blurs; cold darkness swallows me. I awaken when my reserve chute auto-deploys 10km above the objective. Far below, terrible winged shapes rise from the clouds to greet me. Shit, dragons. I draw my sword. [75 words]

  9. The rounds hit moments after I eject. My armor glows white-hot as I plummet through the upper atmosphere. My drogue chute burns away. Now spinning uncontrollably, I fight unconsciousness. Another volley of anti-dropship fire crackles through the thin air. My vision blurs; cold darkness swallows me. I awaken when my reserve chute auto-deploys 10km above the objective. Far below, terrible winged shapes rise from the clouds to greet me. Shit, dragons. I draw my sword.

    [75 words]

  10. In 2010, I found out I had PTSD and TBI. I had really bad memory problems and I had bad coordination problems. I was assigned to a Wounded Warrior Regiment. On one friday, I sign up to volunteer to work at a school’s carnival to cammo paint faces. At 1st I was not sure how it was going to work. With those who have dealth with PTSD, It is hard for me to be in large crowded area. I tough it out for the day and it was one of the best experiences I had. The lesson that I learn from that day is ” Just because you have certain skills that you think is dumb, Those skills can be used to put a smile on people faces and make them think that they are indestructible because a combat veteran painted their faces. Why do I think I should win this watch? My answer would be this; I wish I can tell cool stories about being in the special forces, climbing a high mountain, or being in a firefight in Afghanistan or Iraq. I can’t because I am just a normal guy. I am a mentor, brother, activist, leader and an advance war fighter.

  11. Fugitives from a drug deal gone awry, with police units in hot pursuit, fled into the woods adjacent to our home. Later, my 5’3” wife spotted two of them skirting the woods. While I called 9-1-1, my wife commanded them to come over and sit down. Amazingly, they complied. Moments later, they were cuffed and jail-bound. One of them had had a pistol in his pocket. That’s one hard-core Marine sergeant’s daughter!

  12. I really don’t know why we’ve done it… We were young, enthusiasts and without fear. It was the winter of 2003. We left the chalet without telling what we wanted to do to the others. We decided to go to the creek on an unknown route. Straight forward. We felt like titans… but we were so fragile. we arrived to some passages where avalanches flows. the snow was so perfect (by us)… we had crampons (very old) but didn’t have ropes, harnesses … just some winter clothes. we prayed that the avalanche man… will sleep 🙂 we had god in our hearts and madness/courage in our brains. after some hours we arrived to the top. it was so quiet. This is heaven? I thought… We stayed there fascinating by the surroundings and night came… we didn’t have lights / mobile phones / watches / compasses… so unprepared / so foolish. We saw the chalet down there, between the trees, and took the way straight down. my right crampon broke … Just what I needed right now. After some minutes… I’ve felt in the snow, and… going down, 10 meters, 30 meters… I said … this is it? this is my last day? Fortunately a tree was sitting on the edge of the hole in front of me… It was my saving tree… I’ve grabbed it with my arms, and stayed there for 10-15 minutes, just like this, waiting to calm down. After that we managed to arrive to the chalet happy because we did it 🙂 but our friends wanted to beat us… because they cared at us and they were very frightened that something wrong happened to us. We understood their fears, and we decided not to repeat it again… without the right equipment and without telling our friends where we are. We also decided to stay hungry, stay foolish but be very very carefully in the future. We only have one life, a beautiful one!!!

  13. I waited for a heavy snowstorm to hit before I took to the trails for my daily run. After exciting 90 minutes, I decided to turn back. Darkness fell and snow filled my tracks. Unsure of the way out, I built a snowcave. A lone deer walked into sight. I trotted in his direction. He ran but remained within sight. I had to eventually follow his tracks, leading me to a road: the way out.

  14. I was about 38 weeks pregnant with my first child when I started experiencing severe pain. I told my husband, who said “Can’t you tough through it, you go to the doctors in two days.” So I tough it out & the pain gradually gets worse. The contractions never were consistent; I assumed it was false labor. Finally two days later I have my doctor’s appointment; turns out I’d been in LABOR the WHOLE time!

  15. When my wife and I were in high school, I talked her into swimming down some rapids on our local river.
    On the first rapid, the crest from it her in the face as she took a breath, and she started choking. She grabbed onto me, using me to get above water, pushing me under. As we exited the rapids I used the last bit of energy to get to the shore. We survived, barely.

  16. Southern Patagonian Icefield. Guiding an ascent to gorra blanca mount with 8 clients, we had a terrible blizzard climbing a 55 degree slope that lasts for at least 5 hours. The only possibility was reaching a hut that was 2 hours in the direction from where the blizzard was coming, cause the forecast showed some 3 days in which we had to stay inside for shelter. Winds coming at 150km/h. Snow hits my face as i scream to everybody to move on!. Girls cry. One man throws himself to the icy floor. We finally reach the hut and find there another group that were filming a documentary for the spanish tv. Stayed inside for 3 complete days an then got out. 1 meter of snow accumulated! and we still had 5 days…

  17. It was Nov, 1976 I was 16 and my Lil brother was 14 my Dad and Mom dropped us off with only a 2 man popup small amount of rashions at a spot above Menanche Meadows elevation 6,300 ft. to camp and dear hunt. The Only way in was by 4-w drive and my Dads base camp site was 11 miles away. On the second day at about 2:00pm it started to drizzle
    my lil brother and headed back to our popup tent to get out of the rain.
    After about 45 min the drizzle turned to a rain and our tent started to fill with water. Because of the altitude and below freezing temps at night I new we were in trouble. At 3:30 it was a down pour and the tent had failed so I had no choice but to take my Lil brother and I and hump it out towards my parents base camp. It took only 20 min and severed soaked, by 5:30 it was dark and the battery operated flashlight was barely emitting any light.
    My brother was becoming noticeably frightened, and tired as my pace was grueling. By 7:30 we had no flashlight, and the only way we could see was by lightening strikes. I was no getting worried as the temperature was dropping quick. We at times found ourselves off the path and waiting for lightening flashes to find our way again. It was now about 11:00 o’clock and we were I believed at the crossroad of the path that would either lead us to our base camp or off the wrong direction. I said a prayer and asked God for a lightening strike to show us the marker we needed to know what direction to go. At that moment after my prayer the lightening flashed and there was the marker.
    We only had about 1 mile to go and we both ended up at the door step of
    our motor home wet, frozen, and thanking God for his mercy. I had already looked into joining the Navy to become part of the teams. At 17 yrs old I went off to boot camp to become part of the worlds greatest fighting force, US Navy Seal teams.

  18. My very first call as a police officer had me responding to a security alarm at a local business early in the morning. There were no vehicles in the parking lot except for the owner, who met us. He opened the back door for us and as I entered, an employee came out from the kitchen not two feet from me! I almost dropped the hammer on her but (luckly for both of us…) I didn’t. Turns out she forgot to shut off the alarm…

  19. We were on a simple 18 mile backpacking trip through the rocky, Coconino National forest in Arizona. Our Commander brought his GPS to map out our route so we wouldn’t get lost… he accidentally deleted all the waypoints. Luckily, I came prepared and had a compass and topo map. We were able to complete the trip. We bought our Commander a compass and told him to leave the GPS at home next time.

  20. While working with the Border Patrol in East San Diego County, Boulevard, California, I was tracking a group of illegal aliens in the dark up one of the ridge-lines off of Old Hwy 80. As I busted the group, everyone started running in every direction. Initially I managed to apprehend most of subjects for exception of one, the coyote, who ran away. As I was looking up the hill trying to find him, I noticed a set of red lights that went on and off as they appeared to climb up the hill. As soon as my partner reached my location, I ran after the set of lights. After a brief pursuit I found the coyote under a large rock. The red lights I was following were the lights from one of those shoes with little red lights on the heal that go off ever time you take a step. Thanks to the lights I was able to apprehend and prosecute the coyote.

  21. started a new job last year. told the wife that there would not be that much traveling. in the last 6 months have taken three trips of a week to two weeks or more and in the past three months have spent 2-3 nights a week on the road. oh did i forget to mention she is then home alone with a 4yr old, 2yr old an 7 month old.

  22. I was parked on the curb as I was eating my lunch. I came out and somebody had hit my left mirror. The person drove off without leaving a note. I was able to track down the culprit through some nearby witnesses. However, I had to temporarily attach my mirror back on. I used my Elementum Rubber Strap to reattach it almost flawlessly, except for the mirror adjustment didn’t work anymore.

  23. Well, I’ll try any way….. I was ridding my harley down the freeway. I saw a CHP on the side of the road with his radar gun out. Traffic was moving at 65MPH ( the speed limit ). I was in the slow lane, traffic in front started to slow down, so I slowed to 50/55 MPH. All of a sudden, I get hit from behind by a semi. I hit the ground, and came out of a roll in tuck position. I was then break dancing, spinning around on the free way watching the cars pass me. That’s when I knew I had to look for the 2nd car that would hit me. Luckily the 2nd car had stopped and I was able to drag myself off the free way and then collapsed.

  24. A sixteen year veteran of the Army, I have found that the one critical tool for any situation is a solid and reliable watch. In my younger days, when I worked in the grunt land as a Fire Support Officer, time and timing was everything when coordinating fires. In schools, an accurate watch and, more importantly, a good alarm clock, got me to class on time. In OIF 1 and my subsequent tour in Iraq, time and luck were the watchwords of the day in accurately recording event times during combat patrols, ambushes, advising Iraqi counterparts and catching a freedom bird home. As a recreation diver in the great Pacific Northwest, a watch is critical to keeping tabs on bottom and surface times. Now, as an older and more seasoned staff officer, watches keep me on task and target throughout the day and numerous interminable meetings. I have a ton of ‘cool guy’ stories which are better related over a cold beer, however, the best part of my day is synchronizing my watch to my dogs every evening at 1830 when it is dinner time!

  25. I am not going to win any “Cool Points” with this one:

    It started with, “Today is gonna be a bad day.” It was an overtime evening shift on a rainy payday Friday with a full moon. Another guy in the briefing room grumbled, “Tell me about it,” and we all hit the road.

    Around 1830 hours, the calls started rolling in. Two units were dispatched to a domestic. Upon arrival, they knocked on the trailer door, and the suspect put two rounds through the door to let them know they were not welcome. The units pulled back and called it in as a barricaded subject/potential hostage situation.

    Being the Designated Marksman, I was called in with the rest of the SRT Team. Upon arrival, I ran my bases and checked for a decent spot to set up in. Another trailer across the road gave me a good vantage point and a view into both a bedroom window and living room. And, perfectly enough, there was an aluminum ladder by the back porch.

    I’ve noticed that most injuries and embarrassments that I’ve had in life all seem to start with a good idea. This was to be no exception.

    I got the ladder and expanded it to reach the roof of the trailer. After that ladder scene in Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase, I make it a habit to check the rung locks a few times to make sure the ladder doesn’t collapse back down on itself. Good to go, I start my ascension.

    About half of the way up, I notice a strange buzzing sound… Still climbing and still pondering the sound, my head gets eye level with the area where the roof/overhang/siding all meet, and I see it. For fear that children may be reading this, I cannot write the thought that went through my mind at the exact moment that I realized my face was 5 inches from the largest hornets’ nest I have ever seen. But, the hornets must have had this same thought when I set the ladder up on the edge of the hole they had made home.

    They erupted out of trailer like it was a doublewide Mount St. Helens. Officers on scene swore they heard either a terrified woman screaming or a mountain lion behind that trailer. Must have been the cat – my voice couldn’t possibly get that high, right?

    In my attempted retreat, my foot slipped on the wet rung, going through the ladder, sending my hurtling to earth with my rifle still on my shoulder and the ladder on top of me. I landed flat on my back, on the rifle and scope. My Camelback erupted. The bolt knob snapped off. I’m still being stung and in too much pain to move. After a trip to the ER, I was sent home by a doctor who could barely stop laughing long enough to tell me that nothing was broken.

  26. On June 25th of 2010 my platoon made our way inside a school in Rumbasi Kandahar Afghanistan to check on the progress of the school. We set up security and began talking to the locals. One of my soldiers came up to me to tell me that all of the civilians had just kinda left and locked the doors to the compound. We began clearing doors when an IED went off. It went off pretty close to me. I was injured losing my lower left leg and and sustaining other injuries to my right leg.

  27. I know this is WAY over 75 words, but really want to share the story.

    During the summer of 2001, some friends of mine were planning to climb Mt. Rainier. My daughter was due to be born in April and I knew I couldn’t commit to the required training. In March, I agreed to go with a buddy on a training climb so that he could start to shake out some of his gear. We started at Paradise, which is at 5000′ and decided to try for about 8000′. Using snow shoes and poles, up we went. The climb was pretty easy, as the snow pack was still at least 20’ in most places. I had about three liters of water, an Army MRE, some energy bars and trail mix. I figured I’d eat as I went and have the MRE before we came back down. The climbing was so easy, that while I was drinking regularly, I forgot to eat more than a couple of mouthfuls of the trail mix.
    We reached about 7500’ and had clear, blue skies overhead. My partner Gene and I decided that was good enough for the day and started our decent. At just above 7000’, a white out storm came through. I couldn’t see where the sky ended and the snow started.
    Gene, who was up front navigating, started to drift left, instead of down and right, as we should have been heading. What we also should have done was roped up together to keep from getting too far apart. Not roping in I believe, is what may have saved both of us. As we kept drifting left, we unknowingly headed for the Muir crevasse field.
    Crevasses are bad and the ones on Rainier eat people and kill them every year.
    As I followed Gene, over he went into a crevasse. I don’t know how, but I somehow stopped my slide and was only about 25’ from the lip. I had no idea where Gene was, but knew I needed to get out. I kicked toeholds with my heels and managed to turn around. Using the hiking poles and kicking more holds, I climbed out after about 45 minutes. The storm was fully raging and I still couldn’t see where I was. I only knew which way was down. I started to scream Gene’s name over and over, not knowing where he was, how far down he was, if he could hear me over the storm or if he was dead. From somewhere below, I heard a faint, “Rich!” Gene was at least alive. We managed to yell to each other, “Down and right.” I would walk ten feet and scream for Gene, over and over. When I hadn’t seen anything for over an hour, I started mentally preparing to spend the night alone. I had brought just enough gear in my pack, to spend a cold, but tolerable night on the mountain. One of the things that kept me going though was the thought of some of my co-workers, who are SAR volunteers, knocking on my shelter in the morning with a steaming hot cup of coffee. The embarrassment would never end. So I kept moving. At about two hours, I saw a large rock, sticking up from the snow. This was the first actual object I’d seen since losing Gene. It was a small victory, but one that kept me motivated.
    At almost 2 ½ hours I screamed for Gene again, only this time instead of the howling wind answering back, I heard a distant, but clear, “Rich?” Gene and I had been moving on intersecting courses out of the crevasse field. We linked up 100 yards later and gave each other a strong embrace. I think each of us knew that we had gotten lucky.
    More than luck, I believe it was the hand of God.
    As we descended together again, we started to see the tips of trees sticking out of the snow and more huge rocks. The mountain however, was not done with us yet. As went hiked through some trees, we punched through into a hole and tumbled down about 50 feet. Somewhere still on Rainier, is the water bottle that launched itself from my pack.
    We recovered, but I began to hit the wall hard. The mountain had taken so much energy from me and since I still hadn’t been eating, I didn’t have much left. I started babbling about things that made sense to me, but things that Gene couldn’t understand.
    A short time later, we could hear voices drifting up and we knew were closing in on Paradise. I’ve been to Rainier many times, but that parking lot never looked so good.
    As we got back to Gene’s car and took stock of what we had been through, I began to eat everything I had brought. An Army MRE never tasted so good! We stopped to eat hot food in the town of Eatonville and I made Gene pull into a quick-stop gas station on the way home so I could get some Snickers bars and Gatorade.
    I’ve been back to Rainier with friends and family, but that day with Gene gave me a better understanding of how a simple day out and go wrong in a hurry.
    Now, if I venture anywhere off the pavement, I carry more than enough with me to spend a comfy night out and I always remember to eat!

  28. 9/11/2001, I was responding back to the US Capitol after receiving news that planes had hit in NYC & Pentagon. Once there, my partner & I were told to get our rifles & cover the evac of our top 6 members of Congress. My parter & I always played “what if” games;we knew one was still in the air…maybe coming for us. We were on the dome-Ground zero. We did a quick rateXtimes=distance calculation. If we saw it in time, we’d drop our gear & run to the bottom of the Capitol into the tunnels & maybe get luck. We looked at each other & asked what if we catch it too late. I said, “I guess we’ll hold hands and watch it come in”. He looked at me funny. I said,”What!??”. He asked if we had to hold hands…He didn’t want the last moments of his life to feel awkward. We busted out laughing and went back to work.

  29. While nowhere near as impressive as some of the others. I was going out to a home visit (I’m a Probation officer) on Christmas day. I slipped on the ice and broke my ankle. Rather than lay there until someone came (which would’ve been awhile, I got myself up and walked up hill on my broken ankle, back to help. Ended up needing surgery and a place put in to fix it.

  30. I just threw out my Marathon Tsar in anticipation of gettin a Suunto…what else should I say.

  31. I received my Suunto Core as a present 9-10 years ago. Since then it has been with me through military college, Mountain Rescue team, Army Mountain Warfare school, Airborne school, Air Assault school, Sapper Leader Course, SFAS, 3 Iraq deployments, and innumerable outdoor adventures. Over the years my Suunto has been scratched, burnt, submerged, hit with shrapnel and debris and (with battery changes and a band replacement) still runs like the day I got it.

  32. During a mission my PLT had to patrol along a 15km route and follow and assume the lead PLT. The lead PLT took the wrong route and hit an IED. The speed and heat caused one Soldier a heat stroke. I popped red smoke and a bird came down to pick him up. With the Soldier now going into convulsions, we had to move fast. We got him in and saved him just in time.

  33. Spring 2007 Baghdad Iraq. It was an early morning rocket attack. A rocket hit the wall of our compound next to my platoons living area. We all suffered shapnel wounds but we through on our insaluation covered gear and rushed to the truck in an atempt to catch the bad guys. While chasing them my humvee was hit with an IED covering me with more shapnel and concrete pellets. Bleeding everywhere and having a door dangling from the truck we pushed on. We Killed the six people responsible. I was awarded the purple heart along with 6 other soldiers.

  34. Mosul early 2005. We had been in country with boots on the ground for almost two weeks when we hit our first big firefight. We were moving to cover when my buddy took a round in the leg and went down. I ran back out into the street to grab him. I took a round in the soft armor and went down. On an adrenaline high I jumped back up grabbed him and drug him. I got him to cover. The bullet never broke skin but broke a few ribs.

  35. I was trail running through the lower Austrian Alps. I slipped and broke my ankle, because rain suddenly had been coming down. I was smart enough to have a cell phone with me. What I did not have, was my location (I don’t live in Austria). Long story short, I had to get to a lower position on my own on my knees / on one foot. One tough lesson.

  36. Winter out on the line 3hrs out from camp all going well getting late.
    -45c we need to get back snow wind 80 kmh 45min from camp cant see it compass frozen call base cant reach them call one more time we are north of camp cant see u need help we my be able to hear u.
    i hear 3 squelch on my set we sit 5min and 4th of July starts we get back to camp we are 20min from camp. 4 day -65 95km winds

  37. Driving through downtown Baghdad in 5 year old wannabe uparmored GMC Envoy… the life of an Advisor.

  38. Advisor, not Core . . .

    2006, deployment. After a day of medical civil action programs (dealing with the populaces jaundice, goiter, purlent infections, etc.), the satcom buzzes to life with intel that we were targeted and will be hit on our return. Rolling, guns out, turrets swinging, convoy hits absolutely nothing. We celebrate with some volley ball where I take off my issued Advisor with my brand new wedding ring on the band . . . One our interpreters steals it . . . My bad . . . .

  39. My “core” moment came when I told my wife I wanted to join the Army. She didn’t speak to me for a week. I was 35 years old at the time, we have 3 kids and had been married for 13 years. She got used to the idea, and we’re still happily married, loving every second I spend serving as a soldier, and wish I had done it sooner.

  40. Ramadi Iraq. While on a mission to clear the sector we were assigned, the HMMWV in front of me got hit by an IED. My vehicle was pepperd by shrapnel and we were all shooken up. We quickly jumped out and ran to the hit vehicle to see if anyone was ok. Behind the driver seat a buddy of mine was KIA. he was burnt beyond recognition. I reached in to grab him and pull him out when he literally melted to the bones. After an hour we were able to secure the site and finally had to get a shovel to remove his remains from the street.

  41. Another day of Detroit border traffic. A Senior and a rookie on patrol during a piglet inspection, a lesson was about to be learned. A door opened, one made a break for freedom. The rookie looked for advice, the senior ordered “Go get him.” 15 mintues around the lot and the undocumented piglet was nabbed. The officer then bragged of his stellar efforts which met with laughter and induction into the International Swine Wranglers Association.

  42. My first bowhunt was a page from Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. Returning to camp from the blind, I saw a cougar chase a mature buck into the open. I took cover and went to full draw from 40 yards. Both winded, the deer went one way and the cougar towards me. I made the shot at 25 yards and chased the cougar for three miles. Bowhunter 1, cougar mounted and stuffed.

  43. 3AM, riding shotgun home with a buddy, northbound I-5 in Fife, WA. Tons of traffic, cars swerving all over the place to avoid an obstacle. Was a young girl who jumped off the overpass. Nobody was stopping. We stopped, I charged into the second lane, buddy ran ahead and into the first. Running into traffic like that was stupid. Secured traffic around the body, checked vitals, rendered CPR until EMS got there. Adrenaline for weeks.

  44. We had been searching since first light for a woman who had been missing for more than 24 hours. The initial search area near where her vehicle was found parked yielded nothing. I was exhausted and about to pack it in, when the decision was made to continue the search into the afternoon/evening. We were short handed, so I stayed to lead a 4 man team and K9 unit into a new area. After 3 hours of hiking on steep terrain, we got a call on the radio that the subject’s possessions had been located in an adjacent ravine. Our team hurried over, sweeping and clearing the intervening trails along the way. Soon after, the heilo spotted a woman who was stuck in thick brush further up the ravine. Exhausted, but re-energized, we ran up to the edge of the trail above her position…she was 300 yards off the trail, down the ravine in very thick brush. My Garmin GPS batteries by this point were dust and the GPS fix radioed to us was not going to be much help. Our team half hiked/slid down the thick brush down to her position guided by the heilo. Man one of these Sunnto watches would have been great for a backup navigation device as we couldn’t see more than 2-3 feet in any direction. After some concerted bush wacking, we found our victim: slightly dehydrated, exhausted, scratched up, very scared but very happy to see us. The brush was too thick to extract her by heilo, so we carried her out to a larger trail, then out to the road on our backs. She was reunited with her family, and our search team though tired, smelly, a bit beat up but we were very happy as well.

    OK, I went waaaayyy over 75 words. Ooops.

  45. During USAF SERE Specialist training i had to participate in an evasion exercise. I went 67 hours with out food and about 3 quarts of water. i found it gets increasingly difficult in those conditions to evade effectively in a unfamilliar mountainous area, but threat of capture is a powerful motivator.

  46. In 2006 during my last tour of duty in Iraq as a marine personal security for our battalion commander during one of our field company visits my hummve got hut with an ied, I was driving and my reaction was to laugh which only got worse when my buddy in the passenger seat started to freak out to make matters worse chunks of the road started to fall on the hood of my vehicle and my buddy started to scream and curse cuz he thought we were being mortared, effing hilarious!!

  47. Middle East setting. Middle aged GI presents poorly with complaint of he
    “just doesnt feel right”. Vital signs assesed. Mediocre results, but nothing obvious. Pulse check, use watch to count. Very irregular. Impulse kicks in and says get this guy to a hospital. Bingo, heart attack in progress. Good watch saves heart muscle and life! Hows your core?

  48. My buddy Mike and I were hunting one Nov morning many years ago with black powder rifles. I had a .50 calibur and Mike a .58. Mike was always trying new things so we cast our own bullets. MIke with the huge .58 calibur has a 600 grain torpedo shaped bullet and loaded that morning. Coming up over a ridge line a 4 pt walked out, being in heavy pines Mike squatted for the shot. He fired and all the snow fell off the trees between him and the deer. It bowed Milke over onto his back and the shot killed the deer. The 600 grain bullet hit the deer square in the chest and traveled all the way to the pelvis bone before stopping. What a morning. Hope that wins the watch!

  49. I’m a EMT in brooklyn, once while at a bicycle race I sheared the top of my thumb off while treating a patient. I laughed it off taped it up finsihed the race after treating 3 more patients I went to the hospital cause my partner made me. Never took a day off just sucked it up and worked with a giant thumb.

  50. During my vacation in Baghdad, ’04-’05, I was a lead Medic for an Infantry BN. My hooch was feet from our BN Aid Station, where spent most time. When we got there, power was 30/70, not in our favor. W/o juice, a LOT of people got treated under the alt power of our little diesel gen and 10w blue lights, no AC with incoming shaking sand from sandbagged windows. Never lost one that arrived alive.

  51. On my knees, gasping between gags, bile rising into my throat. Fatiguing rapidly, force of will alone keeping me moving.. Can’t stop- I, alone, remain to complete the mission. Stench like something not of this realm… unholy, from the depths. Eyes watering, hands shaking… heart, head pounding from too many long, hard days, sleepless nights, and now the cold, bitter terror at the horror which lay before me… my infant son’s opened blowout diaper.

  52. 15 months in the Korengal Valley. 2007-2008. Had a Vector but it broke. If thats not “core” enough, I don’t know what is. 400 some odd fire fights later my Vector still worked until i think the o ring went bad because water got inside and its never worked since.

  53. Was in shootout with a hostage taker over year ago suspect went down but still alive. Not so smart co worker puts himself in danger zone, I react try to step on his gunhand missed he tried to shoot me in the face, failure drill with my AR, 10-98 somewhere along the shootout I got hit in the leg, and dumped 9 rounds.

  54. January, 1994.
    I was baiting a crab pot in during opillio season. We took a hard sneaker wave and it pitched me the 60-70 pounds of bait and the pot off the boat into the cold black death of the Bering sea. Dumb luck or divine providence one of them saved me that day. I give the credit to my boys working on deck and a strong urge to get the heck out of that water!

  55. in 06′ my platoon was out on a patrol south of Bagdad and were told to go check out a possible IED. I positioned my truck on an over pass to provide over watch and to stop on comin traffic moving north. as i was walking back to my truck the 1st IED went off about 10 meters from me, that threw me on the ground and covered me in dirt. once i called it in i told my drive to move the truck a crossed the bridge and i was going to walk next to the truck. i took about 4 steps and that when the 2nd IED went off. that one picked me up threw me into the hood of the truck and knocked me out. when i came to i could hear my driver and gunner arguing who was going to get out and check on me. after getting my barrings i was able to get to my feet and my driver and i started another sweep of the area and thats when i found the 3rd IED, but thank god that one didnt go off.

  56. Told my wife I had to work overtime. Talk about hell on earth.

  57. Washed over waterfall, got Ko’d and a large gash in my leg. But me and My girl Survived. 1 week later 2 people died going over the same falls….

  58. Was less than 10 days on the ground in Northeast China and had a Foreign Affairs Vice Chief snatch my passport during visa processing and tell me I had to give him $1400 to “fix” my visa paperwork. Five days later after meeting an Australian friend we hatched a plan to get the passport back while cashing travelers checks at China Bank. Go to the bank with a police officer and fill out the paperwork. All the papers and passport go under the teller window and when my cash and passport come back out I put them in my jacket take a look at the officer and walk out the door into a cab. Heart pounding I meet my friend at the train station and get my visa work done with no problems in the next province over. What a wild ride that day!

  59. I was going to post a tickler of a story, but after reading – my vote goes to Miguel Matlos. Forget about it. Glad you’re back and save, brother. Thank you!

  60. @Kathy Doran: You should submit one!

  61. Wow…I was going to leave a “core” story, but after reading some of the comments posted, I am not worthy! You guys rock!

  62. So…we finally reach the summit of Ben Nevis in thick fog (first summit in the 3 Peaks 24hr Challenge) and my pal Froggy pulls out a banana from his pack for some energy only to find that it is frozen solid. No bother (as they say in Scotland) a pint of ale at the pub at the bottom of the mountain will do. (Need the Suunto to stop me getting a Garmin!)

  63. Last Summer, I was running trails and took a bad fall. I hit my head on a tree stump and a mountain biker heard me fall and came looking for me. He checked me for concussion, bandaged my head up, and followed me until we found my wife in the woods so she could run me the couple miles out and take me to the ER. I looked like an extra from a zombie movie.

  64. While hiking offtrail around a frozen lake in yosemite, I snapped my ankle on a snow bank and rolled down the hill. I spread out and regained control, realigned it, and made a makeshift brace and finished the last 10 miles of a 70 mile week. I had a POS watch, and it would have been better with a Suunto

  65. It isn’t much, but conning a US Navy Frigate into port while the AUX 2 engineering space was taking on water at 500 gallons per minute was… exciting. We couldn’t speed up, lest we aggravate the problem, and patching it at sea wasn’t working well due to ocean conditions and hull deterioration. Standing on the bridge, driving the ship, and knowing we could lose one of the most important engineering spaces… pucker-factor was high.

  66. A few years ago I was driving my car while on leave from the Army when flames come out of the dash I ended up wrecking my car,it was so bad that not only could i not open my door but the center console crumpled over my seat belt button so i couldn’t unbuckle. I cut the seat belt and kicked out the window and ran like hell. The car burned to the ground.

  67. In late 2009 I had drawn a “Hunters Choice Permit for Elk” in the White River National Forest of Northwestern Colorado. It was proving to be a challenge, because I’d had a Left Total Knee replacement in May of the same year and had struggled to get back in shape in time for the hunt. During our scouting trips, my son and I had spotted several nice herds with lots of big cows several 2 year old cows and some younger cows, that would have fed our families well with the two tags we had. But, I was still leary of the walking and dragging distance on a bum leg. I finally busted a nice 2 year old that dropped off the top into some deep timber where my GPS was unable to get reception, while a good compass would have saved us a bunch of tracking and almost running through the deep timber to beat the storm that was settling down. GPS didn’t do that.

  68. While serving in Saudi Arabia, I received a call that a building was on fire and a fuel truck had broken down in front of the building. This was impeding the fire engine from advancing to the fire and it needed to be moved asap as it was a potential explosion hazard. Grabbing keys and an assistant, we jumped into the 8 wheeled Mann wrecker and barreled out of the compound heading out one ECP(entry control point) into another. Through the concrete barriers, tires squalling, I wheeled the behemoth past the guard waving me through. Jumping the medium, watch on coming traffic scatter, I was hitting the horn while rounding the bend to the building. Passing the disabled truck and jumping the medium again, the officers where scattering everywhere as I slid to a stop. Jumping out of the wrecker, grabbing chains and gear, I was severely reprimanded by the lead officer who informed me that it was only an exercise. After hooking up to the “water” truck that was actually disabled, several officers and all the enlisted guys applauded me and said it was the best driving they had ever seen. Too bad they didn’t see me go back through the barricades, this time with the water truck in tow. Started out “Core” but ended with a smile.

  69. I was opening my t-shirt shop @ 6:30 in the morning when three guys rode by and were staring at me. I nodded but they didn’t nod back so I grabbed my .40 from the console and put it in my pocket. They got out of the truck with a gun and told me to go inside and give them my wallet and keys. When I handed him my wallet he looked down and I pulled and fired. I took one to the stomach and I hit him twice in the chest. They took us to the same hospital where he died. I spent two months in a coma. I have almost fully recovered. Local news story

  70. 1)Running out of my battery on my X9i when I needed it most just to find out the elevation
    2)A watch that is smaller than the X9i to wear everyday

  71. When ski mountaineering with my X9i, bad weather set in and as luck would have it I ran the battery down on the watch so I could not use any of the functions! Managed to find our way back using a map but would have liked to have my compass working and know how much more slope I have to ski (current elevation would have been great). While I like the GPS features there is something to say for a watch that lasts 6 mo to 1 yr on one battery!

    Besides, I just cannot wear the X9i every day to the office, it is a bit bulky, so another kudo for the Core.

  72. Actually, I was roughly 1600 miles in the PRC and desperately needed a compass (must have dropped mine) in a national park in order to get back to base. After walking about 3 mile I met 3 young ladies and fortunately for me one was wearing a Suunto. Kind as she was she pulled out her watch and BOOOOM, a great compass along with a gazillion other cool features got me back to base. When I returned to the US, I ordered my first Suunto. Been wearing it ever since.

    I did so because the best advertisement for me was it really worked!!!

    Saved Hiker

  73. Responded to a call with a ‘intoxicated or crazy’ complaintant. On arrival, I got that ‘funny’ feeling in the back of my neck, and parked next door. My OIC walked right up to the porch, where a man was ranting about his neighbor. The man pulled a gun, and he and the OIC wrestled briefly. The gun went off, and the man aimed point blank at my OIC and fired again. I drew from 12 feet away, and fired 6 times, with 5 hits, 4 of which were fatal. The man was planning to kill his neighbor and another officer for perceived harassment. The OIC caught the bullet with his cheap watchband, and it deflected the bullet away. He wasn’t wearing a vest, so he was LUCKY!

  74. A cold snowy night is when it all started, a stock trailer loaded with Longhorn Bulls rolled over on the interstate. A fellow Officer went into the overturned trailer to try and open a door to release the irrate animals when suddenly one got turned around and began his attack. No amount of tactical gear would have helped in this matter. I entered the trailer and caught the attention of the Bulls so the other Officer could escape. That was a mistake, several blows later I was able to crawl out the top. I dont care who you are thats “CORE” when you have no defense and just have to take the lickin! The moral to this story is I lost my Walmart watch that night in the trailer….lol

  75. 06/2004 Karbala, Iraq. Raining Mortars and taking severe casualties all day as we tried to clear Insurgents out of strongholds within the city. One of our Lt. Was sniped KIA while attempting to get from 1 building to another. I ran out towards him (not thinking wisely) and started getting fired upon…I immediately ran back to cover…Sniper was using Lt. Body as bait to get others out to his field of fire. Advised Command…Tanks deployed smoke for us to extract body…And then the Fireworks went off!….Tanks went Black on Ammo on surrounding buildings…Beautiful display of Teamwork…

  76. I just traded my Rolex in for the Suunto….It Rocks !

  77. Crossing over the DMZ outside Panmunjom, NK in 199 to provide secure comms for nuclear inspectors that were checking out “nuclear power plants” that NK was building. NK patrol came up on our Black TAC site and opened fire. My team returned fire until the shooting stopped. Had to pack up extremely fast and move across the border before NK command was notified. No injuries or casualties to my team but the adrenaline that flowed that night could have overflowed Nigara Falls.

  78. My K-9, Zeke, and I had to look for a suspect with a gun in an attic. It’s hard enough to fight with a guy, that possibly has a gun, on the ground but doing the same thing while trying not to fall through the attic can be intense.

  79. I was chasing a subject in a blue berry field one night after he crashed his car. As i proceeded in the field the dopes cell phone went off, I was able to stop laughing and continue my pursuit by foot. It was dark and by watching the tops of the blueberry plants shake as he attempted to flee I was able to catch up to him as to the last plant was seen moving. I shined my light on him and yelled stop police, the sucker jumped up like a rabbit and took off running again. As a spry 43 year old @ 220 lbs. I took three quick leap towards him and was able to swat him with my left hand knocking him to the ground. I was able to apprehend the subject and place him under arrest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.