The Deer Camp Chronicles

Join’s Dan Lamb as he opens the 2011 deer season, blogging straight from fields and treestands in Southeast Missouri.

Day 1

Well, day one is over for the 2011 deer season. Our group took two deer–a 5-point buck and a doe. I went out to hunt on the conservation land here and felt like I walked into a pumpkin patch. All I could see was hunter orange everywhere, which wasn’t the most comforting feeling.

Afterward, I hunted on our fields hoping another hunter might run one my way, but of course they didn’t get the memo.

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day!

Day 2 

Day two opened up with 40+ mile an hour winds tearing through the fields and had yet to stop hours later. I didn’t hear but four shots all day, and unfortunately none of them came from our party.

We made a few drives though some of the fields hoping to kick up a deer that was bedded down due to the wind. I saw good signs, but no deer.

Our neighbor took a shot at a doe right around 4 this afternoon. I went up to help track it, but never saw any blood. It was pretty brushy in there, so there’s a good chance one of the limbs got in the way.

The good news is the wind finally died down by this evening. The bad news is the weather forecast calls for rain all day tomorrow. Looks like we’re gonna be getting wet.

Day 3

Day three went the same way as day two. Wind? Yes. Hunters all over? Yes. Did I see any deer? Nope.

My brother-in-law and I hunted over a few fields before we decided to head up by the river and scout around there (with no luck).

Hoping I will score on day four! 

Day Four

Day four has turned out to be poor. I guess the population here is full of brilliant deer since none of them were dumb enough to step out in front of me.

My Dad was able to get a button buck this morning, but I have yet to see one deer in the woods or fields.

I decided to come home this afternoon and take a day off from hunting. This decision was made easier by my son getting sick with fever. That’s the second year in a row he’s been sick during my hunting trip, so it’s a good thing I already have the week off work.

I hope to get back after a day or so and get out to a local farm here. Let’s hope we have dumber deer here.

Days 5-7

I had to take some time off to stay home and look after my son. Hopefully I can get back out there before the weekend is over.

Day 8

Yes!  Back in the woods, and boy does it feel good. A nice, calm breeze carried my scent in the right direction, and there were good signs all around with no other hunters in sight.

I hunted on top of a hillside that has great visibility into the woods with clear shooting lanes, but the deer still did not get the memo that I was waiting for them to come out to play. I was only out for about two hours before I found myself feeling light-headed and sick to my stomach, so I waved the proverbial white flag. I went to the car to sleep, so I could help my dad if he was able to get one.


So the 2011 season is over for me. For the third year in a row, the deer have gotten the best of me. This was by far the oddest hunt I have had, between the super-fast winds that never stopped and the tiny amount of shots heard around me. I didn’t even see one squirrel while in the woods or hear any crows calling out like they usually do.

Not sure what to make of all of it, but I do know that a bad day hunting is better than a good day of not hunting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.